Saturday, April 18, 2020

THIS AND THAT ABOUT FOOD, COVID19 AND THE NEW NORMAL




THIS AND THAT ABOUT FOOD, COVID19 AND THE NEW NORMAL


This morning, I had computer problems and just when it seemed I had lost this journal file, it opened. It actually was there in my files but whenever I would go to open, it said it didn’t exist. There’s nothing to make my day go bad like computer problems. On days like this it makes me wonder if I should even try to write ever again?


I was going to confess to how this COVID19 has changed my eating habits and not in a good way. On Easter we had all the traditional foods so of course there were leftovers. Plus, other leftovers. Actually, I love to eat so much there is always something I can find, my problem is making a choice. I WANT TO EAT EVERYTHING. So, one night this week I made something I’ll call the ULTIMATE COMFORT FOOD BLUE PLATE SPECIAL: Pulled pork, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese and broccoli casserole. Topped off with Marie Callendar’s coconut cream pie. I could hear my Aunt Joyce’s voice in my head, “Y’all ate two starches together?” That’s what she’d say to me and would cringe when I’d tell her how Mama fed us at home when I was a little girl. Macaroni and cheese with mashed potatoes as well as beans and fried or mashed potatoes were  some of our favorite meals. Don’t forget the cornbread. And the onion. Real Southern comfort food!


Hats off to Bill, my husband,  who stuck to his Keto diet during quarantine and also Easter. I keep thinking I should join him as he cooks all the food for it. I actually ate one recipe he cooked the other  night, a taco casserole made with cottage cheese and lots of cheddar cheese. Since I wasn’t doing the whole Keto plan like him, I actually gained two pounds the next day. Well, that’s enough about food and staying home too much. I also was reduced to making birthday cards for my girls as I haven’t been out shopping as far as lingering to read cards. Can we say we are all at a new normal?

 Some good, some bad but thank God, we’re still here pressing on in Jesus. 



Try some verses with comfort in them instead of comfort food.

“Comfort, O comfort My people,” says your God.

2 “Speak kindly to Jerusalem;

And call out to her, that her warfare has ended,

That her iniquity has been removed,

That she has received of the Lord’s hand

Double for all her sins.” Isaiah 40:1-2


 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.



 2 Corinthians 1:6-7 Even when we are weighed down with troubles, it is for your comfort and salvation! For when we ourselves are comforted, we will certainly comfort you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. We are confident that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in the comfort God gives us.

No comments:

Post a Comment