Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Who's Keeping Your Vineyard?


"…They made me the keeper of the vineyards; but my own vineyard have I not kept." Solomon 1:6

How often this verse has come to me as the busyness of life abounds. Going, doing, going, doing and not even really accomplishing anything of my own at times it seems. Oh, for the beauty of time spent in quiet and contemplation. Oh, for the words of our Lord to come and how does it come except in still, quiet moments?

"They made me the keeper of the vineyards; but my own vineyard have I not kept."

Who are “they” anyway, the ones who made me the keeper of what perhaps they should be keeping? Why would I feel it’s good to leave my unkempt vineyard, or home or family to help them out? Why do I let the world define what is important or what I should attend to in my life?

On the other hand, I find that they might be me, as in ““WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND HE IS US.” (Pogo) type of thing. Without thinking about Bible study starting back in the Fall, I signed up for an outreach group, signed up to have one at our home and also was trying to keep up with some online prayer group commitments, and a few groups that I was already in. It’s so hard to turn down being in groups and events that just make me happy when they’re doing things like making desserts for our firemen, giving lunch to a local police unit and visiting nursing homes. Those are truly things that make me so happy; Salt and Light really enhanced my life, that and of course Word Weavers Volusia Group.

I found myself in a much busier season than I really needed to be in, as I’m not including anything as far as home, husband, kids, grandkids and extended family in this mix. That’s why that verse so gripped me, I think when I read it.
"They made me the keeper of the vineyards; but my own vineyard have I not kept."

When my sweet mother-in-law, Edie, says, “Donna, I don’t know how you do it!” I’m like, “Really! We both know my house is a disaster zone.” It’s nice of her to try and not notice it, but the reality is, I’m not superwoman like some women I know who work, clean, serve in many areas and are still standing at the end of the day. I admire those women and would love to be those women but it makes me tired just thinking about all that they do. And funny thing is some of them are also watching soap operas, too, and I’m good if I hear a few minutes of news here and there.

I’ve lived long enough to know that there is no good thing I can do on my own. I’ve, in my lifetime, been one of the most messed up women alive, worse than any hot mess around, but yet I found a Savior who brought me out, cleaned me up, pressed on with me and gave me love.

I will live my life proclaiming His name, JESUS, and by His grace put the past behind me. I have to stomp on the enemy sometimes constantly to be able to press on, dear friends. I have to declare and decree to live each day and many, many days my cry is, “show me how to live.” Show me how to live with the pain that is sometimes daily that our family isn’t healed and acting in a way that shows the beauty of the Lord. Show me how to live with broken chains of relationships. SHOW. ME. HOW. TO. LIVE. And then the Bible verse comes to me once more…I shall live and not die and declare the works of the Lord or as the Amplified Bible says,

“I will not die, but live, and declare the works and recount the illustrious acts of the Lord.” (Psalm 118:17 AMP) And this is how we roll, this is how we do it, we study the Word, we taste the Word, we devour it as our life-source of healing always remembering this, “He won't brush aside the bruised and the hurt and he won't disregard the small and insignificant, but he'll steadily and firmly set things right.” (Isaiah 42:3 The Message) We decide to tend to our own gardens knowing that only the Lord God almighty can “fix” the garden of our hearts and then we look to Him to do just that.

I need the Lord’s breath upon me to live a full life. It is a desire I have for Spirit-winds to breathe fire upon me as this verse shows, "For I," says the Lord, "will be to her a wall of fire round about, and I will be the glory in the midst of her," Zechariah 2:5 and that His glory will be in the midst of me.
“Then may Your awakening breath blow upon my life until I am FULLY Yours

Breathe upon me with Your Spirit-winds. Stir up the sweet spice of Your life within me. Spare nothing as You make me Your fruit-filled garden. Hold nothing back until I release Your fragrance. Come walk with me as You walked." - Song of Songs 4:16 (The Passion Version, Dr. Brian Simmons)
Let me be fully Yours Lord and learn to tend my own garden in a fragrant way that will bring glory to You.
Donna Collins Tinsley 12/2/15

1 comment: