Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Modern Family, The Should Haves and Shouldn't Haves of Life

Oh Lord, the "should've haves and the shouldn't haves" of my life. They are so prevalent for my family. It makes me cry at times as dreams of wholeness in family relationships are shattered in the reality of life. "What it is" as in "it is what it is" many times is a far cry from the health and wholeness You planned: "I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.


“When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I’ll listen.

“When you come looking for me, you’ll find me."(Jeremiah 29:11 MSG)

Yet You saw my days when I was being formed in my mother's womb and You knew exactly how my life and the lives of my children and grandchildren would unfold, some precious, some sad days, but all known by You, Jesus, this being the key verse from Psalm 139 that I am thinking of as I write: "And in Your book were all written

The days that were ordained for me,

When as yet there was not one of them."

Our "Modern Family" may be more like the comedy show portrayed on television but it really isn't much worse than some from biblical times and days. Peace to your day and I'm ending with a link to a Bible Study book that I am working on.

 
I love what Mary Englund Murphey writes in Joseph, Beyond the Coat of Many Colors: "I have a tendency to read biblical accounts and mentally critique the should haves and shouldn't haves. Abraham shouldn't have slept with Hagar; Sarah should have waited on God. Isaac shouldn't have tried to thwart God's plan; Rebekah should have trusted God for His outcome. Yes, they should have and they shouldn't have but they didn't and they did, and in spite of it all, God was gracious and forgiving, and continued to work in their lives to accomplish His will.

We could make an endless list of should haves and shouldn't haves about our lives, too, but the great new is this: In spite of our past, he will use you and me when each of us turns back to Him!" (Mary Englund Murphey)

http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Beyond-Following-Through-Character/dp/0899573339/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348144456&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Mary+Englund+Murphey

No comments:

Post a Comment