Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Book Review; The Gospel According to Les Miserables: 30 Devotions to Inspire Faith Paperback by Selena Sarns



I only wish I had gotten “The Gospel According to Les Miserables” before I rented the movie. I know I would’ve gotten so much more out of watching it if I had the titles of the chapters in this book to ponder.

A 30 day devotional is something we all can use at one time of our life or another. I like being able to feel that I am reading something that is not a big project like a yearly one is, at times.

My first thoughts about “The Gospel According to Les Miserables was of giving this book in a gift basket. It would include the original book by Victor Hugo, popcorn and the new movie added as an addition. I don’t know about you but I would love for someone to give me such a gift basket. Add some Milk Duds and you’ve got a movie night and the devotional lends towards starting the day in a good way.

There were timely quotes such as “With God, mistakes can be corrected and any life, no matter how difficult, can still glorify Him.” Also “When we realize that running from God is futile and empty; we can know that being open before God is true joy.” One devotion title was “No Good Deed Goes Unnoticed” which sounds like something my mama might have said, although life doesn’t always seem to work that way.

I love the concept of this devotional because the characters and story from the original book are so deep, rich and loved. Ending with “The story of  Les Miserables is not so far removed from Christian’s life. Each one of us faces similar temptations and conflict that impact who we are in Christ,” gives us all food for thought.

The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of The Gospel According to Les Miserables through BookCrash.com

No comments:

Post a Comment