Thursday, May 4, 2017

GET WITH THE PROGRAM!


 

 
GET WITH THE PROGRAM!

 I attended a conflict resolutions seminar recently. It made me want to say, "Get with the program" to my family. Then I wondered where that phrase came from? Is it Al-Anon specific?  I'm pretty sure I heard my mom say it here and there throughout her life so that phrase has been around awhile.

The main meaning seems to be, follow the rules; do what you are supposed to do. That also clearly implies that there is a known method or "program" to follow; we might say to someone, “Come on, honey. Get with the program. Do what you are told.”

Or McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs gives the example, “Jane just can't seem to get with the program. She has to do everything her way, right or wrong.”*

If I ask someone to get with the program I may want them to make more effort to do what is needed or to accept new ideas.  In Word Weavers the program is to follow the manual or the example of Word Weavers International in the way they conduct their meetings.

For those who are affected by addictions in their family’s lives they may want their loved one to go to a meeting where there is “program or 12-step talk.” There are books about certain programs for recovery issues and yet everyone may have their own opinion about them. One slogan I love in Al-Anon is, “Take What You Like and Leave the Rest.” That has helped me tremendously when the stress of life has kept me from doing the complete program.

 
I’ve perhaps made my own program at times which consists of, on Thursdays, taking some time to encourage others in prayer for those in recovery, hitting a meeting and then rewarding myself with a Chick-Fila Milkshake. Here is an example of a Thursday post for my blog:

The Ways of the Lord Towards Us

Are Good!

For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting;

and his truth endureth to all generations. Psalm 100:5


It's Thursday and today as I think about those who are in recovery, I also am praying for those who are grieving, those who are sick and people in need of a Healer. For those who want to give up, those who are afraid their children will die of an overdose on the streets, and those who are afraid their loved one will just decide to end it all, I pray, also.


I pray because that is really all I can do. I yield to Him, although sometimes I want to try to fix someone; sometimes, so very many times, I may even want to shake someone and say, “Get with the program!”  Instead, I yield to the Lord, because letting go and letting God is the only reasonable thing that I can do. It keeps me sane in an insane world.


His ways are good even when we can't see for the darkness. His ways are good even when they aren’t our ways. His ways are good through the valley of the shadow of death. His ways are good when we are lonely because He will come to us. His ways are good when we are struggling because He can calm the struggle.


His ways are good when our children have abandoned or forsaken us (and Him) and gone astray because He is the mighty Shepherd who searches for the lost one. His ways are good in our pain as He is the Healer. His ways are good when the road is long and the journey seems too hard to travel for He travels with us.


His ways are good we will believe for this year. We can’t create, change or cure
anyone but His ways are good and He can. HE IS THE PROGRAM!

 
Think on your blessings, as that is the only way to overcome the darkness of this world. He is the Light and His ways are good! The goodness of the Lord lives forever. Let Jesus be your program for today.

What to do for yourself:  Focus on your blessings as you take long, deep, cleansing breaths. When stressed throughout the day remember to breathe deeply.


Thought: Sometimes we just need to say a prayer to get our minds in a better place. Focus on the Lord’s goodness in your life even if addiction has flavored it. The Lord is good even when _____________ because_________.


Donna Collins Tinsley

Praying every day in every way for you and your loved ones at Somebody’s Daughter Online Prayer Support Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/119408188089314/

 

*McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment