Wednesday, January 3, 2018

How to Live With a Codependent Dog


How to Live With a Codependent Dog

I’m really not sure when she became codependent. She seemed like a pretty normal dog when she came here to live. Maybe it was all the hovering over her or the extreme love that got her this way. Willow the willowy Weimaraner has a big fan club with her owner, Ashley, at the top but her “Granddad,” Bill, is a close second. Nothing is too good for Willow around here. Sometimes I wonder if there was a choice if Bill wouldn’t choose Willow first over me!

She is a big “chicken” dog I must say. Of course a lot of dogs are afraid of fireworks, but Willow seems afraid of little dogs and even squirrels at times. Yes she likes to chase them but if one turns around and comes toward her, Willow runs for the door. She does seem afraid that someone may love the new granddoggie, Luna,  more than her even though I tell here “There is always enough love to go around.”

More and more Willow just seems afraid to be alone at night. And that doesn’t even mean ALONE, when we are here upstairs. Just WITHOUT ASHLEY constitutes alone for Willow. Last night Ashley and Isaiah went out to a late movie after I went to bed. Just as I was about to doze off, SCRATCH, SCRATCH. SCRATCH, I hear at the bedroom door. I tried to ignore it as I heard her run down the stairs. Then I heard her run up again. This time scratching led to bounding into the room as she used enough force, by pouncing on it, to open the door.

 “Willow, lay down,” I whispered, as I didn’t want to wake Bill up. Of course, he wears ear plugs to bed so no fear in that. Willow instead paced about the room, whining and actually crying. At this point I was willing for her to get in our bed, anything, so I could get some sleep, but no.  She evidently wanted back out. So I got up and opened the door and she ran back downstairs.

I guess she felt the sudden need to protect the homestead. Bark, bark, bark, bark, bark, I hear once again as I was about to go to sleep.

How do you live with a codependent dog?

I have no idea!

I can barely keep my eyes open today. Where is Willow? Sound asleep in Ashley’s room. “Codependent No More” is a very popular book written years ago. I wonder if I read it with new eyes concerning Willow if it would help me? Or does Willow need me to write one for dogs? How am I to learn their language? The best Dog Whisperer I know is Cyndi Walsh. Please Dan Walsh, let her know I need help! I guess the new title for Willow’s next book will be CODEPENDENT DOGS NO MORE. Maybe at last, I will get published!

Donna Collins Tinsley

3 comments:

  1. This is funny, Donna. I'd read your book, 'cause we have a co-dependent dog, too. Maybe we need a support group. LOL
    Love,
    GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to be a visitant of this everlasting web blog, regards for this rare info!

    ReplyDelete