Saturday, May 18, 2019

Book Review; Murder at the Canaveral Diner (A Florida Murder Mystery Novel) by Jay Heavner



Murder at the Canaveral Diner (A Florida Murder Mystery Novel) by Jay Heavner is a genre that I don’t normally read. But Jay is a fellow member of Word Weavers Volusia County member and I like to encourage and support our members. As I told Jay recently there were some parts I absolutely loved and some that really grossed me out, such as the description of the crime scene.


That being said, I love reading books that have actual locations that I’m familiar with. I’m acquainted with a lot of the locations in Brevard County as I lived down there for some years. I’m also familiar with the route they took past St. Augustine to the FL/GA line and probably the many rest stops they took a break at. Actually, I was surprised at the number of pit stops that the guys made and the references to that. LOL!

There were some scenes in Chapter 9 that were hilarious. Chapters 14 and 15 have some great content, very pro-life and anti-slavery. I love when Roger talked about his wife. I have to say Chapter 16 was a bit hard for me. As for Roger, he had a sad backstory and Bill seemed to be a likable fellow, but together they seemed like a lot of guys I’ve known from the South. I loved the conversation that Roger had with the Pastor and anytime the book went to spiritual matters. Great quotes, “God’s like that, always there watching even when we can’t see or feel His presence.” And later he said, "Anytime, Roger. Anytime. My door’s always open to those truly in need. Remember, Roger, there’s none so damaged that he cannot be fixed by the hand of Almighty God. God loves you. His love for imperfect and fault-filled people is matchless and too big to be measured. It lasts a lifetime and beyond that. You’re His one of a kind wonderful masterpiece that cannot be replaced. He always has His eye on you.”


I’m not sure if this would be considered a Christian book, but I appreciate the parts that were. It was certainly a mystery novel and that seems to be what Jay writes best.

This review is my own opinion, having bought the book from Jay under no obligation to give a good review. I’ll be checking out some of his older books, I’m sure when I get some extra reading time.

No comments:

Post a Comment