Saturday, February 20, 2021

My review of Murder of Cowboy Gene: Florida Murder Mystery Novel 5 by Jay Heavner

 

Murder of Cowboy Gene: Florida Murder Mystery Novel 5 by Jay Heavner

 

I have to say, this novel by Jay is the best I’ve read so far in the series. His writing is getting better each novel, in my opinion. I hope some of that is because of your joining us at Word Weavers Volusia County Group, Jay.

It’s really interesting to read a book that gives the “total male” perspective on life. Jay’s characters always remind me of somebody I know or used to know. I like Roger, glad he looks like Sam Elliot, and the donkey addition made me smile, plus the dog’s dislike of his friend, Bill made me smile, too. Some of Jay’s writing, I admit, make me laugh out loud and that is much welcomed in my life, especially in the days we live. He interjects history and places that either I knew nothing about or reminds me of the area in Brevard where a lot of this novel takes place.

I like the characters and I’ll not give a spoiler alert about Cowboy Gene, but the story surrounding him, and the care he gives to his mother are admirable. Sometimes we all just do the best we can with what we have and although it might not have been the right thing to do, the story was believable.

I loved the cover picture, it not only reminded me of Jay but during the pandemic my husband grew a beard and he is looking remarkably similar, now.

Jay, you strike me as a man who is enjoying his life writing novels, and I’m very happy for you. Your laid-back manner must do with your family roots and where you grew up. When I got to a certain point in the book, I made sure I kept reading to the end. Readers will, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment